Behind the Scenes of how I made Flowtographs

After making my first Flowtograph I wanted to add more movement. I wanted to try doing something invasive. I learned the hard way that faces are hard to move manually. I stated realizing that making large amounts of movements cause images to end up in the “uncanny valley.” For those who don’t know, the “uncanny valley” is when the visual elements of something start to look a little off. Almost as if the visuals are trying to hard to look artificially real and end up looking weird or creepy in doing so. A great example of this is the movie Cats.

I took this as a sign that I needed to stick to more subtle movements.  (At least when working with faces.)

Overall, this is the Flowtograph that I’m least proud of. I’m still proud of it, but it was definitely a learning experience for me. I went back and forth on how much I wanted his face to move and finally came to the amount I thought would work best.