Behind the Scenes of how I made Flowtographs

My interest in this concept of adding motion to still images came from making my cinemagraph sword project. I became captivated with the concept.

To start, I thought making a parallax effect would be a good starting point. I masked out the soldier and filled in the background then made him a new layer. I then played around with the movements of the two layers until it looked like both layers were moving in a true-to-life way.

I was done. Or, so I thought… I couldn’t help but feel like there was more I could do. I wanted to add more to it. I wanted to add subtle body movement. I started experimenting with the puppet pin tool in Adobe After Effects. I had a hard time not making the soldier’s body look like jelly, but after refining everything, I think it turned out pretty well.